Our early Sisters established schools to ensure a high level of nursing. To this end, a School of Nursing was founded in 1886 to train the Sisters in Springfield, IL, (1886-present) and Eau Claire, WI (1917-1932). Skills were taught for clinical and technical support services including anesthesia, laboratory, EEG, x-ray and pastoral care. St. John's College of Nursing exists today under the auspice of St. John's Hospital in Springfield. Sisters still serve on the board of the college. For more information on St. John's College of Nursing click here.
In 1899, an English text, "The Nursing Sister - A Manual for Candidates and Novices of Hospital Communities" - was published and written by our Sisters at St. John's Hospital School of Nursing. In addition, they published a companion guide “Points for the Clinical Record”. Three other editions of “The Nursing Sister” followed (1900, 1903, and 1905 respectfully) and were used through the mid 1920s. Also, the books were requested by other nursing schools in the United States. The first edition is entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1899, in the office of the Librarian of Congress.
Please click here to access the 1899 edition.
Please click here to access the 1900 edition.
Please click here to access the 1901 edition.
Please click here to access the 1905 edition.