banner left
sos collage banner
banner right
title left
HERITAGE
title right

heritage pic

Accepting an invitation from Bishop Peter Baltes, Diocese of Alton, Illinois, 20 Sisters from Germany arrived in the United States on November 3, 1875. In addition to Alton, he sent small groups to Springfield, Belleville, Effingham, East St. Louis, and Litchfield – all in Illinois. They learned English, introduced themselves to the people of the area, and began nursing care, earning the residents’ trust.

They quickly became engaged in providing home care and building hospitals. Eventually other locations requested their services, primarily in German communities in Illinois and Wisconsin. Women in the United States were inspired by their work and joined them.
 



Hospital Sisters of St. Francis 4 849 LaVerna Road, Springfield, IL 62707 (217)522-3386
Directions
Contact
Facebook
footer right



Click to Print this Page