The Sisters’ primary home is St. Francis Convent, 4849 LaVerna Road (Springfield) – a 300 acre property. The convent includes two residential buildings along with a Church, Chapel, Chiara Center, administrative offices, and support departments. The property also includes a cemetery and outdoor sacred spaces.
Employees wear a name badge that features this Tau cross – a symbol that establishes an association with the Sisters’ Congregational symbol. The Tau is a sacred symbol for Franciscan men and women throughout the world. It is a letter of the Greek alphabet and in spiritual terms it represents the fulfillment of the revealed word and it is a sign of salvation. In the Old Testament, the prophet marks those with a Tau who have chosen to reject a sinful lifestyle (Ezekiel 9:4). And in the New Testament, those who received the sign of salvation on their foreheads professed themselves belonging to Christ (Rev. 7:2-3). A sermon by Pope Innocent III in 1215 inspired St. Francis of Assisi to use the Tau as a sign of his mission to preach penance and as an outward symbol of the Religious Order he founded. He blessed people with it and he signed his letters with it.
L.P.N./R.N. (36 scheduled hours per week)
10:15 p.m.-6:45 a.m.
Every other weekend
Dietary Aide (PRN)
8 scheduled hours per week
7:30-10:30 a.m. and five hours during the week
40 scheduled hours per week
Every other weekend
About the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis
The Hospital Sisters of St. Francis is an international congregation of Franciscan Sisters founded in Germany in 1844, and their Provinces include Germany, Poland, USA, Japan, and India. The American Province, based in Springfield, IL, was founded in 1875 when Sisters from Germany arrived and began a healthcare ministry. The American Province is the Founding Institute of Hospital Sisters Ministries which is the public juridic sponsor of Hospital Sisters Health System (HSHS) – a multi-institutional health care system in 14 communities in Illinois and Wisconsin with 15 hospitals, health centers and clinics, nearly 2,300 physician partners, and more than 14,600 colleagues. In addition, the Province sponsors Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach, a recovery and world-wide distribution of medical supplies and equipment, and operates Chiara Center, a Franciscan Place of Spirituality for individuals and groups seeking a retreat and conference center.